Friday, May 27, 2011

Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie

This past week, I found some rhubarb in Whole Foods, and Jeannine asked that I make a strawberry-rhubarb pie. I did, and it was a big hit! So much so that Jeannine wanted me to make another one for a school event. I posted a picture of the pie on my Facebook page, and I don't think I've ever recieved that many comments on any other post. Here is a picture of the half-eaten pie. It actually doesn't look very appetizing here. They couldn't wait for it to cool to eat it, so much of the remaining warm fruit ended up running out from under the crust.
I was so amazed that so many people had never heard of rhubarb or had never tasted it. I know when I moved to Alabama, I had a very hard time finding it fresh. It must be one of those things that needs the cooler weather of the north to grow.

Here is the recipe for the strawberry-rhubarb pie. For those of you who are not familiar with rhubarb, it looks like stalks of celery, only they are red. It is very tart and not something you would eat raw. Because of the tartness, it is usually combined with another fruit. The only thing I’ve combined it with is strawberries, but you could use blueberries or cherries.

1 ¼ c. sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1/3 c. flour
2 c. strawberries, cut in chunks
2 c. rhubarb, cut in 1” pieces
2 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp sugar
Mix sugar, salt, and flour; set aside. Stir together strawberries and rhubarb. Place half of fruit on bottom of unbaked pastry; sprinkle half of dry ingredients. Place other half of fruit and sprinkle rest of dry ingredients. Cut butter into slices and place over top of fruit. Top with pastry, brush with milk, sprinkle with 1 Tbsp sugar. Cut holes to vent. Bake at 425 for 40-50 minutes.

Pastry for a 2-crust pie
Mix 1 ½ c. flour with 1 tsp salt. Cut in ½ c. Crisco. Sprinkle with 4 Tbsp cold water and mix.

Hope you enjoy it as much as my family did!

No comments:

Post a Comment