Friday, March 16, 2012

Hard Crusted Bread

I found the recipe on Pinterest. It sounded so simple I thought I could surely do it. I certainly had never made any bread this way. You put 3 cups flour, 1 3/4 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp yeast in a large bowl and stir to mix. Add 1 1/2 cups of water and stir together. It will be quite sticky at this point. Cover with plastic wrap and let set for 12-16 hours. After this amount of time, pre-heat oven to 450 degrees. You are supposed to use an enamel covered cast iron pan but I didn't have one of those pricey things so I used my Corning dish that has a lid. Place baking dish in oven to pre-heat. While waiting for the pre-heating, dump the dough onto a VERY well floured counter and cover with plastic wrap. After oven and baking dish are heated, CAREFULLY take dish out and using well floured hands place ball of dough in hot dish. Place lid on dish, place in oven and bake for 30 minutes, remove lid and bake another 15 minutes. Do NOT grease baking dish. The bread will not stick. Enjoy!! It really comes out crusty!!

1 comment:

  1. thank you for this bread recipe. I love making my own bread and this sounds so very simple...

    ReplyDelete