Sunday, June 9, 2013

Surgery Postponed. :(

I've spent the last week getting ready to have surgery on my right foot.  Over a year ago, I started having pain on the inside of the ankle, going down into my arch and up into my lower leg.  After an MRI, an orthopedic doctor diagnosed me as having "severe tendonitis."  After several rounds of anti-inflammatories, custom orthotics, weeks of physical therapy, and a brace, the arch went completely flat, making walking difficult and painful.  I was referred to another orthopedic doctor who specialized in problems of the feet.  He said he could fix it with a tendon transfer.  After a 2nd opinion from another surgeon, he said that tendon transfer was not appropriate for me because all three of the joints below my ankle had become involved.  He said I was on the verge of a stress fracture in the bone on the outside of my lower leg.  He said I needed a fusing of those foot joints - a triple arthrodesis.  Here is a site about the surgery, I you're interested.  http://www.anklefootmd.com/triple-arthrodesis-procedure.php 

That was all about Christmas time, and I went home to think about it.  I should have done it right near the 1st of January, but I just wasn't quite ready to pull the trigger.  After that, so many things began to get scheduled that I needed or really wanted to do, and there never was enough time between the events to have adequate recovery time.  Now here I am - an half a year later, and I was finally able to get it scheduled.  It was to occur next Wednesday the 12th.  Everything scheduled around that date was working out just right - my husband was able to get time off work, it was going to work out for me to attend church the first Sunday of our new pastor the following week, and I might have been able to attend our quilt guild's big quilt show the next week (by wheel chair).  However, as I was sitting in the waiting room, waiting to get my preadmission blood work done, the doctor's office called to tell me the hospital's OR was under construction, and there just wasn't enough room to handle all the currently scheduled operations.  I would need to put the surgery off for a week.  I couldn't believe it!  All ready and psyched up for it to occur in 5 days, and had to reschedule for a week later.  That messes up everything occurring the weekend of the 22nd and 23rd.  ARGH!  Actually the 12th was later than I needed because we are going back to Kansas for the month of September, and being in a cast for at least 8 weeks, I really wanted to have a good 4 weeks of physical therapy.  Now it is down to about 2 weeks. 

We have been planning for nearly a year to go back to Kansas for the month of September and attend the Kansas State Fair. 
Now, that may sound really silly, but you have no idea what an important place in my life the State Fair had.  I grew up with the Kansas State Fair!  My mom and I attended every single year.  We only missed the few short times we lived in a city too far away.  After I grew up and married and lived in Hutchinson, I never missed a year.  I would go nearly every day of the little over a week it was open.  I just loved to stand and listen to all those same people sell their wares year after year.  I loved the smell of hamburgers and onions cooking in the little booths along the midway.  I loved eating sour cream raisin pie in the Methodist booth.  I loved eating the  elephants ears and the funnel cakes.  I loved watching the local TV station broadcast their local programs and news.  When I was younger, I loved riding the rides - screaming in Ye Old Mill.  I especially loved marching in the band every year of my high school days.  When I moved from Kansas, The Fair was what I missed the most - other than my family and friends.  So this year we were really looking forward to going.  It is scheduled September 6-13.  I know I'll not be able to walk as much as it would require, but I'm taking my wheelchair, and I'M  GOING!!  Our daughter is planning to come from Ft. Collins, CO, along with the granddaughters for that week.  Jeannine will want to show her girls her "fair roots."

On one hand I'm really upset that the surgery has been postponed, but I know that nothing happens without a reason.  So I have to believe that this is the way it is supposed to be.  It will give me more time to clean my house, figure out how I want to move the furniture around the living room to form fewer obstacles, and finish getting some more meals in the freezer.  So until then, I just wait....

No comments:

Post a Comment