Friday, August 16, 2013

A Taste of New Orleans

Tonight we went to eat at the Bright Star, a local restaurant that is a favorite of many people. We were not aware until we got there that it was "A Taste of New Orleans" night.
You can see who the guest executive chef was. 
During our meal, he came out into our room and inquired as to how the food was. The lady next to us raved about her turtle soup!  I noticed that she ooed and awed all the time she was eating it. 

Guy had Greek snapper and I had baked Greek chicken. Guy said his was the best he had eaten. Mine was delicious, too. I had enough chicken and baked potato left over to feed both of us tomorrow. For dessert we had the chef's specialty, a mixture of fresh blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, and whole pecans in some kind of delicious syrup topped with butter pecan ice cream. 

Just as we were finishing our meal, we were surprised by a jazz trio - stringed bass, banjo, and trumpet. They were taking requests, so I asked for "When the Saints Go Marching In."  That was obviously a favorite of theirs. Click on the link below and listen to them.  Listen also for a very pretty soprano voice in the background that began to harmonize during the song. She was the lady with the turtle soup. I heard her earlier talking with the man she was with something about "the date of her performance" and figured she must be a musician.
 
It turned out to be a very enjoyable evening.
 
More Gifts from God
 
9.  A husband who took me out to breakfast at Cracker Barrel and then ran me around to several places - mailed a package off to the granddaughters, took me to Hancock Fabric so I could get some houndstooth fabric, went for coffee and donuts at the Donut Chef, and helped me get groceries.
 
10.  My sister, Colleen.  She is 5 years younger than me, and for most of her married life lived far away.  She moved to Birmingham not long after Mom and Dad moved here, and was a HUGE help in sharing the load of caring for them.  Colleen loves the Lord and loves to joke and laugh, and she is a very generous, selfless person who would give you the shirt off her back.  We've enjoyed reconnecting after all these years.
 
11.  My brother, Carl, was 8 years older than me and went to be with the Lord June 8, 2012.  Carl was a devoted Christian, brother, husband, and father - such a caring, easy going person who also had a wonderful sense of humor.  He was extremely talented with his hands and wood.  He built many of the homes they lived in and a gorgeous sound booth in their church.  Being with Carl just made you feel good!  And I never got to be with him enough.  I miss him dearly!!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment