Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Some days you just can’t find any good news.

Some days you just can’t find any good news.  Well, that’s not entirely true.  Today’s good news is that it rained nearly 3 inches.  We have been in desperate need of rain.  It seems that all the rains have either split when they get to our area or they just fizzle out.  FINALLY, we got a good long rain in the night – lots of lightning and thunder, too, so not a lot of sleep was had.  Shortly after I got up, my phone gave me an alert for a flash flood warning here.  I couldn’t believe my eyes.  For weeks we’ve been in a terrible drought, and all of a sudden there is a warning for a flash flood????  Guy said he drove out to the farm, and it got about 2 inches with puddles standing and the Sand Creek once again flowing.  Grow, pasture grass, grow!!!!

A week ago Monday, I developed a fairly large spot of blisters on my back, half way between the lower line of my bra and waist, pretty much in the middle of my right side.  

I thought it was probably a chigger bite, because I’ve had my share of those this summer.  This Mekinest (cancer drug) I’m taking does not like bug bites. It causes a rash to develop with blister-looking areas around it.  I have one area that started behind my left knee, and the rash covers half my lower leg – 

and  another area in the middle of my right thight - this only covers an area about the size of a 50-cent piece. My pharmacist said that 87% of the people who take Mekinist have skin issues.  So I haven’t been all that concerned about odd rashes that occur here and there.  But this area on my back just didn’t act quite like the other areas. Plus, that whole right side mid-section kind of ached now and then.  The only thing I could blame on the discomfort was shingles.  I certainly didn’t want to think something was wrong with my liver or kidney.  So today I decided to just go have it checked out.  Sure enough, it was shingles.  Back in 2012, I had a really bad case of shingles, and it was *extremely* painful.  I should have taken the vaccine because I never wanted to undergo that event again.  But I didn’t. I guess I figured if I had them once, I was not likely to get them again.  Dr. Jackson said it was because I was immunocompromised.  Well, phooey!  I know that when you have shingles, you need to get to the doctor right away to get on the antiviral drug, I knew, also, that a whole week had passed since mine started.  But thankfully, it had not spread and seemed to be a mild case.  I was prescribed Valcyclovir 1 Gm three times a day.  So far, I haven’t had to take anything for the discomfort.  Unfortunately, shingles take about 2-4 weeks to get rid of.

Another issue I’ve been dealing with is that with all the dog dander around, my allergies have been acting up.  I sneeze occasionally, but instead of my nose running, this Mekinist has thickened all the mucous in my sinuses, and I can’t get it up, down, or out! It feels like and sounds like I’m talking over a wad of SNOT at the back of my throat!!  UGH!!  I’ve been taking Muscinex which is supposed to thin your secretions.  Dr. Jackson said to continue that but to drink, drink, DRINK!!!!!  UGH!! I never seem to be able to get enough water down.

Well, all that news didn't particularly throw me off track.  I had taken some pictures to send to Dr. Powers. A week ago, I sent him pictures wondering about all these rashes.  My face and head had not particularly changed much over the last few weeks……..UNTIL today.

Here is what it has been looking like.  

I just figured I’d probably always have this little decolorization – like a scar.  I figured for how that cheek had looked at one time, I could certainly live with what it looks like now – and feel blessed!  

Then here is what I sent to him today because of the darkening color and the little nodule that has come up.  

I’ve noticed that for about a week, when I would wash my face, that nodule area was tender.

He answered me pretty quickly today, and this is what he said, 
I am concerned about that cheek area. You need to have that biopsied in the next week or so, if not getting better.
This could be a sign of resistance to the Mekinist, and if the Mekinist is starting to cause worsening symptoms otherwise, it may be time to start looking for other things anyway. 
Keep us informed by early next week. Do you have a derm close to home that could biopsy that cheek nodule for us?”

*SIGH* He really knows how to take the wind out of my sails. My cheek has kind of looked like this before, but then, faded. So, I’m praying desperately that nothing is going on there.  I’ve been praying that this Mekinist would kill every single cancer cell in my body BEOFRE one of those cells has a chance to mutate. The FB angiosarcoma site calls this cancer “the beast!”  It truly is. It’s easy to get your hopes up when all seems to be going well.  I have to remind myself that, short of a real-honest-to-goodness-miracle, I will likely NOT beat this incurable disease.  I’m reminded of a video that we used to show our nursing students years ago. The name of the video was Peige. (not sure of that spelling) It was a video journal of this lady named Peige and her husband and her journey through her cancer.  She had advanced ovarian cancer.  About all I remember was her sitting on the couch with her husband, and she would say, “I want a miracle……”  Him, softly, “But you ain’t gonna to get a miracle.” Her, “But I wanta miracle!” Him, “I know…..”  It was very sad and hard to watch clear back then.  I’m not sure I could watch it today.

So that brings you up-to-date.  Wish I had more good news.  I don’t see Dr. Powers until Aug. 21 when my next scan is due. I suppose if I have to get this cheek biopsied, that may change plans pretty drastically.  Dr. Powers pulled one miracle out of his bag (of course, I know that was a God-thing!)…….I don’t know if he’s got another one in there…… Just pray He is not done with me yet…..

And as always…..I’m in His hands….. 


No comments:

Post a Comment