Sunday, June 19, 2011

2nd Real Week of Retirement

This past week was much more structured - I function better that way. The week before was nice for a week, but don't want to spend the rest of my life just swinging on my porch swing.

Most of the week was spent going through boxes. I don't know what made me think I would need all the stuff I brought home from my office. I had already filled up two large garbage cans at the school before leaving my office. Now I'm continuing to fill garbage containers here at home. It took me the entire week to go through those boxes. Every time I tried to put something away upstairs, I would get distracted by something up there. I had to reorganize a lot of my storage area. Brought lots of old nursing books that I knew I no longer needed downstairs. It will take weeks to get rid of them - can't put them all in the trash at once because the trash haulers would not be able to lift the trash can!

I found a notebook of old faculty meetings minutes. Since they had students' name on them, I had to shred those. It took 3 hitches at that because after so long a time, the shredder would get too hot and shut down. Two large garbage bags later, that task was completed.

I've now got things enough under control that I'm going to allow myself to do some fun things this week to come. I'm going to get back to sewing. I have several bag-shells to make for Jeannine before the weekend, because Friday I'm taking the train to Greenville to celebrate my youngest granddaughter, Sofia's, 4th birthday. I'll stay the week and then ride back to B'ham with them when they come here for the 4th of July weekend. Guy will be back to batchin' it for the week. Since he's had a lot of practice at that, I think he'll do fine.

I spent some time with Mom this afternoon. I did her nails, took her a fresh white peach (SO delicious!!), and looked through an old picture album with her she made of a trip she and Dad took in 1979. They went to Seattle to visit my aunt Minnie and Uncle Bob. Minnie is my Dad's sister. She remarked about how close she and Minnie had always been - much more like sisters than sisters-in-law!

No comments:

Post a Comment