Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Real Retirement Has Started Now

I officially retired on May 31 of this year, but it has not felt like it until now. I don't know how many people have asked me, "How are you enjoying your retirement?" I've always had to answer, "I don't know,yet." In the past, I usually would go to Jeannine's between semesters and then return to work. So it really has felt like I was just on vacation.

Sunday I returned from my daughter's in Greenville, SC, where I had been for over a month. While there I helped her with her chidlren's bags she makes and enjoyed all of the granddaughters' events. It was a great time, and I was busy pretty much every minute. Well, I didn't set any alarm clocks, so I just got up when I pleased for the most part. One of the most fun things was the girls' dance recital on the 4th. The dress rehearsl was from 1-4 that afternoon. Below is Maya, the 5 yr old. She looks so teeny-tiny here in this picture. Actually, so IS very tiny for her age.
Here is Sofia, the 3-yr old.

Jeannine was one of the backstage moms which meant she was in charge of 20 3-4 year olds. She took water and snacks, and coloring books and crayons for them. She asked me to help with Sofia, so I immediately became a backstage mom, too. As it turned out, the other groups of small children were all placed in the one room - 36 girls ages 3-7. It was tutus, taps, and trips to the bathroom all afternoon. Actually it was pretty much CHAOS!! I don't know why they put them all in the same room or why all of them had to stay for the entire afternoon, but when it was over, we were all exhausted. And THAT wasn't even the real event. We all had to go home, pretty much just in time to eat a bite and come back. Jeannine had put Sofia down for her nap a little before lunch or she would not have even been able to participate. As it turned out, she did really well for the rehersal - just danced her little heart out. Of course Maya performed in her two dances like a little pro (for a 5-yr old anyway). When we got home from the rehearsal, Jeannine, Maya, and Sofia all lay down to try to get a little rest. Unfortunately Sofia was not able to get the MUCH needed sleep to get her through the evening, because out-of-town friends arrived. When we left to go back to the main event, not everyone was terrribly happy.
This costume had an itchy place around the arm hole, and even with a bandaid, it was not comfortable. Maya's was much more comfortable.
Here are some pictures of the room activity.
Jeannine felt like she was backstage at the show "Toddlers and Tiara's," which she absolutely depises! Maya was not particularly enjoying the makeup session.
Here is one of Maya's dances.
I haven't firgured out how to put clickable links into this place, but you can copy and paste the URL and see the dance.
Here is Sofia's dance.
This is Maya's other dance.

Monday I had so many things to do on my immediate bucket list. Get the house cleaned. I really cannot do any quilting until I get some cleaning done. When I vacated my work office, I just piled several boxes of "stuff" in my dining room. I didn't have time to do anything with it until I returned from SC. I also have boxes from my parents' place that I still need to put somewhere. What do you do with things like that? You can't get rid of them. Some things you just have to keep for sentimental reasons. But it all doesn't fit into one small cigar box. It is big box after big box.

Well, yesterday morning I pretty much just blew off. I sat on my porch swing in my screened-in porch and read the paper and my Bible and sipped my coffee. I'm such a slow starter in the morning. I wish I could jump out of bed early in the morning, and hit the ground running. UGH! I just can't do that! I wonder after all these years if I can reprogram my internal clock. The only reason I have even risen early in the mornings was because I HAD to. Now I don't HAVE to, but I don't want to waste all my mornings, either. Time is too precious to waste any of it.

Anyway, I also made out a grocery list while swinging, so in the afternoon, I went to the grocery store. I'm going to try to learn to cook healthier. Actually, I've pretty much got to learn to cook period since Guy is now living at home and driving to Tuscaloosa to work. It has been over a year and a half since we have lived together during the week. Cooking regular meals on a regular basis is a new adjustment for me. Can't say I don't have the time now. Cooking has not been one of my favorite things to do all of my life. I guess I don't mind the cooking as much as I do the "thinking it up." If I could have one or the other, I would choose a cook over a maid. But since I don't have either one, I guess I'll continue to do both.

I decided to try to cook some different things. I take this Everyday Cooking magazine, at it always has simple but different things to fix depending upon what is available for the season. I saw lots of recipes with lots of different greens. Greens are something I've never really eaten other than lettuce or cabbage, but they are so plentiful right now - kale, swiss chard, broccolini. I've never cooked any of those things. By the time I got through the produce section of the store, my cart was nearly full. The produce manager took one look at my cart and asked if I was a vegetarian. I told him no, I just retired and was going to try to do more cooking now. One thing I forgot is that Guy is on Coumadin, and greens are contraindicated for someone on that medication. Wouldn't you know it, after I bought a bunch. But when the evening meal was over, Guy said he really enjoyed something different.
I bought a Pampered Chef baking dish - paid an "arm and a leg" for it! But I was so impressed with what you could cook in the microwave with it. I put a whole chicken in it, put some cloves of garlic in the cavity, brushed with olive oil, and sprinkled on some Emerald's chicken rub. I microwaved it for just over 30 minutes, and it came out like one of those rotisserie chickens - fell off the bone. The vegetables were a bunch of the broccoline spead in a cooking sheet, sprinkled with garlic (from my Pamered Chef garlic press), drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper. I baked it 15 minutes, the covered it with canolli beans, diced tomatoes and almonds, and baked about 10 more minutes. It was very delicious - and healthy. When Guy came in from work, it smelled like a garlic factory in the kitchen! LOL But it sure tasted good.

Earlier in the afternoon, I made some cinnamon rolls from frozen bread dough - so simple! (So NOT healthy!) Oh, well....they sure were good too.
Every bite you put in your mouth doens't have to be healthy, does it?

No comments:

Post a Comment