Sunday, September 30, 2018

An eventful week…..

These 2 main scabs on my head have remained quite stubborn.  The one closest to my forehead is the larger of the two and was dry and hard.  The smaller has been there for quite some time, was hard and dry, but very tender to touch.  The area around these has been dry and peeling. So I decided to try putting emu oil on the whole area.  I had used emu oil on all of the left half of my head after my radiation treatments ended and that area was all blisters.  This time, it did stop the skin from being so dry, and it began to soften the scabs.  They started draining a bit, and I got scared that perhaps they were getting infected, so I switched from emu oil to Bacitracin.  I decided after a couple days of that, I perhaps should see the doctor to make sure there was no infection going on and to see how I should go about treating the whole area.  I thought I remembered how I had treated the donor site on my arm when the flap was done back in the beginning, but I wasn’t sure.  I had a box of Xeroform left from another open wound and some telfa dressings, so I thought I had what was need.  Here Is the technical definition of Xerform: Xeroform is a sterile wound dressing that is non-adherent, which means it won't stick to the wound so dressing changes are less painful and trauma to the wound is minimized. Xeroform is also an occlusive dressing which means the dressing prevents air from reaching the wound. An occlusive dressing will retain moisture, heat, and it will help the medication stay in place, this promotes a moist healing environment. Xeroform dressings are made of a absorbent fine mesh gauze that easily conforms to the body. It is comfortable and soothing against your skin. The fine mesh gauze is impregnated with a 3% bismuth tribromophenate petroleum blend formula that provides bacteriostatic protection. Xeroform also deodorizes because it works to reduce wound odor.

I saw Dr. Page, the McPherson oncologist, Tuesday, and he set me up an appointment to see the wound care team on Wednesday.  He thought there might be a slight infection, but wasn’t sure, so he started me on an antibiotic since my counts were so low.  I saw the wound care guy on Wednesday, and he thought a bit of debridement was in order.  He said it was hard for anything to heal that was covered with a scab.  It actually was easier than I thought it might be since the scabs were all softened from the Bacitracin.  He took off about 75% of what was there, covered it with an antibiotic ointment, and a dressing.  It was painful the rest of the day, mainly due to the pressure from the dressing. He said I could change it daily or more if it drained through.  By evening, I did remove it because it was just too uncomfortable.  I put Bacitracin on it, covered it with Xeroform, and a telfa dressing.  When I went to bed, I took a REAL pain pill!  As long as I keep it covered, it is fairly painless.  Open to air is when it is really uncomfortable.  I think it is going to take quite a while for it to heal. I think that the two small places left are the cancer. If this pill I’m taking, IBrance, gets in gear and takes care of the cancer, then it can truly start to heal.

I still have various colored spots on my cheek, and the discoloration on my forehead and eyelids.  The right side of my forehead doesn’t seem to be progressing with the cancer although there is some discoloration there.

Wednesday and Thursday were particularly good days.  I felt strong, and was motivated to do a lot of hand sewing. The worst part of this pill I’m taking is how it makes me feel about 4-5 hours after taking it.  I take the pill at 3:00 pm, and by early evening, I begin to itch – everywhere – and scratching does not solve the itch.  Have you ever had an itch, and although you scratch it, it doesn’t satisfy the itch?  It’s frustrating!  Especially if you are trying to sleep.  The other thing is it gives me restless leg syndrome.  I had that after I had surgery on my foot back in 2013.  My doctor at the time gave me something for it – can’t remember what it was – but I knew it was addicting, so I didn’t want to continue to take it.  I mixed up a concoction of coconut oil, Peace and Calming, lavender, cedarwood, and Valor – essential oils.  I rubbed that on my legs each night, got off the med, and never had restless legs again. I need to make that up again.  I ran out of Peace and Calming a long time ago. At the time, it was not available from Young Living.  I think they’ve brought it back now with a slightly different formula.  I need an amber colored jar, and I can’t find the one I used (since we moved – along with dozens of other things!  UGH!)  So far the leg issue doesn’t bother me all that much at night, but if I sit in my recliner with my legs up, it drives me nuts!  Especially if there is something on my lap – like my laptop, or Annie.  I just have to get up and walk or exercise it off.  The other side effect is sometimes I get the “jeebs” – I can’t sit still, feel like climbing the walls.  I hate that SE!!  I’m hoping as I continue to take the med, that will ease somewhat.  I know a lot of SE show up at the beginning of taking a med, but go away once you’ve taken it for a while.  Other than that, I’m tolerating this med pretty well.  Now, if it will just WORK!!  If it is working, it sure is doing so s.l.o.w.l.y!

My rib seldom gives me any trouble now – praise the Lord!

The sores in my nose are almost completely healed, and I don’t plug up at night.  I don’t have to take the Sinex anymore – praise the Lord!

After having two really good days, I got up Friday morning, and while in the bathroom, I got terribly weak, sweaty, and nauseated.  I grabbed the waste basket and did a lot of drooling into it. I came within a hair’s breath of throwing up!  Guy was taking a nap in a room on the other side of the house, so he couldn’t hear me hollering.  I managed to limp back to the bed and lie down.  I took my BP and it was 91/66.  I tried to stand to take it (which they always do to determine if I’m dehydrated – if it drops more than 10), but I couldn’t stand long enough for the machine to register – I thought I would faint, so I had to sit down.  Sitting, it was 98/77.  In a bit I stood, and it was 87/63.  I had not yet taken my BP medicine, so I held it!  I lay on the bed for a while and finally was able to get dressed.  I knew I was going to have to have fluids.  This is the way I always feel and act when dehydrated.  I called the infusion center to tell them I was coming and got Guy up, and off we went to McPherson.  It takes two hours to infuse a liter of fluid once they access my port. They were kind of busy when I got there, so they didn’t get started for about 30 minutes.  I fell asleep in the chair, but bless Guy’s heart – I guess he always finds something to do for 2-3 hours.  Maybe he naps some in the car – I don’t know, but he doesn’t really complain. I know he doesn’t want to have to pick me up passed out on the floor at home.  Usually I sleep through the whole procedure.  This time I took a short nap, and my legs started up – UGH!  I told the nurse about it, and she had to call the doctor for someone else (he wasn’t in the office that day), so she asked him about my legs.  He said he would give me a prescription for Ativan, 1 mg to take at bedtime.  I told her I wanted to try my essential oils before I started another Rx.  I don’t like taking those mind-altering drugs unless I just have to.

Last night I remembered about 9:30 that I needed to take something for “dinner on the grounds” today.  We were to have the group from Victory Village in our morning service and then all eat together.  Luckily, I had a bag of Rhodes frozen cinnamon rolls in the freezer.  You just put them in a pan, let them rise overnight, bake them and frost them (frosting included).  If you haven’t tried those, you should.  You can’t tell the difference from the made-from-scratch cinnamon rolls.  You can take out one or two or however many you want.  They are just yummy if you like cinnamon rolls.

If you are not from this area, Victory Village is an academy near Hutchinson, KS.  The website describes it as “The mission of Victory Village Christian Academy, a subsidiary of Heart Ministries, Inc., is to show God’s love and compassion to wounded youth, seeking to bring them into a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, as we minister to their spiritual, social, intellectual, and physical needs.
This particular place is for girls from 12 to 18. Our church has helped to support this place for several years.  Some of our fund raisers are for this purpose.  It was a group of 16 plus a couple staff members and the husband/wife directors.  They sang and gave testimonies.  It was really inspiring to hear these girls tell about how God had intervened in their lives through the help of VV.  The academy receives no state or federal funds – mostly supported through about 50 churches and private donors.

I have this blanket spread out over my bed so Annie won’t lay on my bedspread.  Didn’t seem to help a whole lot on this day.  J


The boys went to their high school prom this weekend.  Oh, my!  They are growing up way too fast.  Such handsome young men!
Dylan - 17

 Chris 15

 
He and his girl are on the right end.

I guess that is enough for this week.  Hope I can stay strong all next week.  Nothing special going on – just don’t like down days.  You can scroll down for pictures for those that want to see.

And as always…….I’m in His hands…..






Before debridement 

 After debridement 




No comments:

Post a Comment