Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Midweek update


The last couple of days have been fairly miserable.  The scabs on my head have been very dry and hard.  The edges have been chipping away little by little, and the skin very dry.  I started using some emu oil on it.  I had used it all over my head when the blisters from radiation were healing. This began to soften the scabs, and they started to drain.  I was afraid, from the drainage, that there might be some infection beginning, so I started using Bacitracin instead of the emu oil.  The smaller of the scabs was extremely tender and was causing a great deal of pain – like there was a buildup of pressure under it.  The Bacitracin softened the whole area enough that it all drained more in the night and relieved some of the pressure (and pain). 

I got concerned this morning that I might not be treating it as I should now that it is all softening around the scabs, and what if the scabs came clear off, leaving all that rawness.  So, I just called and got in to see Dr. Page, the local oncologist in McPherson this afternoon.  He was glad I came in.  He said there mightbe a little infection beginning, but I really needed to see the wound care team, and they could direct me on how to care for the whole area.  I’ll see them tomorrow at 1:00 pm.  That is a relief, because now that it is starting to open up, I need to be able to care for it and not get it infected.  I don’t really know if it is a sign the medication is working, or if it is getting worse.  Time will only tell that, I guess. He ordered an antibiotic for me to take orally for a week to take care of anything that might be developing, especially since my WBC is so low.  He also told me not to be afraid to take pain medication. “I know you don’t like to take it, but I’m just saying  – take it when you need it.”  I’ve been using Tylenol and Aleve, but so far have not taken the stronger prescriptive stuff. I almost broke down and took some last night, but the Aleve seemed to help.  If I keep the area covered with Bacitracin, it’s not too bad, but when the air hits the raw places, it burns like fire!!

Otherwise, I’m not doing too bad.  Since starting back on the medication (last Saturday), it’s made me sleepier.

Each night I eat a little bowl of Cheerios when I take my bedtime meds. Last night, after consuming that, I got the JEEBS!!  I wasn’t sure what was going on – still not sure, but I felt like climbing the walls. I knew I’d never get to sleep like that, so I did some leg exercises, and then I tackled my closet.  I switched out my summer crop pants for my winter pants/jeans.  I bagged them all up (according to sizes) and labeled the bags.  I’ve lost about 40 lbs now, so most of my pants are 14s and are too big.  I think I have more 12s somewhere, but haven’t run across them yet since moving. (Just like a pair of nice knee-length boots that have disappeared!)  Now I just have to do the same for my shirts.  Anyway, by the time I got that all done, I was exhausted and figured I could go to sleep.  I itched everywhere, but none of the scratching helped.  So, I took a Benadryl.  That helped everything.  Guy finally opened my door this morning after 10:00 am to see if I was still alive!

I had a great time last weekend.  Mark came to visit.  Amy was sick, so he thought he would just come and spend the time with us – no special event.  It was soooo nice to spend the time with him.  He went hunting with some of his buddies, but spent most of the time here. Then Saturday night, his throat started feeling scratchy.  He had originally planned to stay over and go home Monday, but given that he might be coming down with what Amy had, he didn’t want to risk giving to me, so he went home Sunday after we all went out to eat after church.  Monday ,he went to his local doc-in-the-box and got an antibiotic. The boys are both doing well in school and both playing on the varsity soccer team.

I’m really happy for Jeannine.  She closed on a house Monday and moved in that evening with her girls. The pictures she sent showed the girls smiling from ear to ear.  

The house looks so cozy.  She is now about 5 minutes from her school where she is a school counselor (rather than almost an hour).  The girls are closer to their school, too.  The house is on a nice corner lot across from a nice large park.  

I’ve been sewing nearly every day for a week now.  I’m hand appliqueing on this little flower quilt.  

I tried stitching the applique pieces by machine, but I just didn’t like the way it looked.  Since the sores on my hands have healed, and I got a new thimble, I can once again hand applique, one of my most favorite things to do.  For several of the blocks, I’ve been using the technique recommended by the pattern designer – sewing a light-weight interfacing to the right side, making a slit in the interfacing and turning.  I don’t like that method because I can’t get nice smooth curves.  No matter how hard I try, there is always a little “pointy” area that pokes out. When I needle turn, that doesn’t happen. Since my fingers are better, I’m going back to my tried-and-turn method.  This quilt with have all kinds of techniques used on it!

On Oct. 9th, I’m going to be going to the Methodist ladies’ group to give my quilt talk and show my quilts.  Hope I’m having a good week that week.

The areas on my forearm, knee, and back where the mosquitos bit me (over a week ago) are better.  My back is still itchy, but I’ve been using a Benadryl spray that has helped. (This resulted from 3 mosquito bites.)

 Here’s a big “praise the Lord”.  Guy had a CT scan of his lungs last week, and there is no evidence of cancer!!!!!! Thank you, Jesus!!!

Another praise the Lord – my side is so much more comfortable.  Almost no pain there unless I cough.  I’m coughing less too.

Specific things to pray for:
1.   My eyes.  The discoloration from my forehead had come down onto my eyelids somewhat.  


     My eyes are not swelling quite as bad as they were, but still swollen.  My distance vision seems to be getting worse.  My right eye becomes painful by about mid evening, especially if I’m trying to read.  It’s like it just dries out, even when I use eye drops.
2.   The healing of this area on my forehead and head that is opening up.  Pray for the pain involved there – sometimes 8/10.  I’ve been so blessed to have had very little pain all through this journey.
3.   Pray my blood counts don’t drop too low.
4.   Pray the med doesn’t cause my neuropathy to worsen, especially in my fingers.
5.   Pray the itching/blisters doesn’t start up again now that I’m back on the medication.
6.   Pray my restless leg syndrome settles down.  (I need to make my coconut oil and essential oil concoction that I’ve used in the past for this.)

And as always…….I’m in His hands…….


1 comment:

  1. I love your little flowers! Each so different and yet similar. Hopefully your hands will continue to be fine so you can applique easily. O your back! Ouch and just from bites! Thinking of you...

    ReplyDelete