Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Another roller coaster ride.....

Well, I guess I spoke a little soon in my last blog about feeling so good….

Monday morning I woke up and, instead of being hungry for breakfast (which is the only meal of the day that I’m actually hungry for), I wasn’t particularly hungry.  As I was preparing my bowl of cereal, I suddenly felt very weak and had to sit down. I headed for the bathroom, and I thought I might end up in a pile on the bathroom floor.  I sat on the toilet, but couldn’t get my head higher than my knees.  I broke out in a sweat and got nauseated.  I knew I had to somehow get to the bed to lie down.  I called for Guy to come help me.  I just laid out flat on the bed for a while.  My BP was 117/71 lying, 89/69 sitting, and 61/45 standing.  I knew right away I needed fluids.  I called the McPherson infusion center, and they said to come right in.  Once they got my fluids going, I fell asleep and slept the hardest I had in a long time.  It’s amazing what a liter of fluids will do for you.

Today, I had a 2:00 appointment with my regular PCP – my yearly physical at Hutch.  I started out well, but as the time wore on, I realized that I wasn’t up to par.  I wanted to go to Kohl’s, and Guy dropped me off there.  I could tell things weren’t quite right when I had to sit on the bench inside the door for a while.  I got a cart, and slowly walked to the lingerie department.  I couldn’t find what I wanted, so left empty-handed.  I really wanted to go to Hobby Lobby to get a needle threader – not one of those cheap wire things, but they didn’t have the kind I wanted.  I just didn’t feel like looking around, as I loved to do in Hobby Lobby, so I bought a little $1.99 package of plastic thimbles and headed for the car.  

Man!  I hate this not being able to shop and enjoy it!   We ladies just love to shop!  Right??? I guess that “spell” from yesterday took more out of me than I realized.

Well, anyway, I went onto my doctor’s appointment.  I had my cap off in the room, and I could tell he was kind of shocked when he saw me.  I don’t think I’ve looked this bad when I’ve been in to see him before.  I told Guy just this morning, “It’s too bad when you feel so good but look so bad.”  Oh, well, he reassuringly told me I did not look bad.  Bless him!  He’s always so good to tell me encouraging things.  Anyway, I think Dr. Jackson didn’t think my medication was working.  I had to tell him that I thought it was because all that half of my head had been covered with scabs, and now a lot of it was just pink skin.  Now, granted, what is left is pretty awful to look at, but after I told him the strides I had made (rib feeling better, two fingers healed, feeling good most of the time), I think he didn’t feel so bad.  I was anxious to see my lab work.  Even though some was quite low, there was some positive numbers.  My WBC went from 2.2 to 2.6 (not great, but at least going in the right direction).  My Hgb went from 9.3 to 9.7 (still low, but better).  My AN went from 814 to 1180.  Now that made me happy, being not as susceptible to infections). What made me do a happy dance was my lipids – cholesterol, triglycerides, etc. They were ALL NORMAL!!!!  Haven’t see that in 40 years!!!  Of course, I know it is due to eating like a bird and mostly eating at home.  Every doctor has threatened to put me on cholesterol-lowering medication, and I’ve always refused due to the side effects.

I showed him the awful rashes that the mosquito bites had caused, and he gave me a stronger steroid cream than the over-the-counter stuff.  So I’m very hopeful that will relieve the itching – and itching and blisters on my hands, too. (SE from the medication).  Beow is my forearm - very lumpy, bumpy, and red.
Another angle of my arm.
And the rash on my knee.

I’ve always been so LOVED by the mosquitos – if there is one in the county, it will find me.  However, since being on this medication, I had not had one bite all summer until this past week when I got one on my arm, 3 on my back (through a thick shirt!), and two on my right knee.  I’ve never had these rash-reactions before, so I know this medication does NOT like mosquito bites.  Mosquitos have never bothered Guy before, but these Kansas big black monsters have nearly carried him away!!  He keeps slathering the lavender essential oil on, but is still miserable, bless his heart!  Well, I’m hopeful this cortisone cream will do the trick for me, and let me sleep.

That’s just a quick update for the 1stpart of this week. Hopefully, I’ll gain some more strength as the week progresses.

Oh, look what our neighbor brought us again today!!  SO delicious!!


And as always……I’m in His hands…..

No comments:

Post a Comment