Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Catching up and Dr.'s Appt

Since the last blog, things have eased a bit for me.  The 25% reduction in the strong chemo helped to ease the side effects from the last time.  It certainly did not eliminate them, but made them more tolerable.  The biggest issue is the low hgb I have right now (7.7 - half of what it should be), which is causing so much weakness and shortness of breath with very little exertion.  

I had an appointment with Dr. Page today.  It was a very encouraging visit.  He said he could see improvement from the last time.  I see him once a month.  I see it every day, so it is hard for me to see much progress and becomes discouraging.  Dr. Page addressed a lot of my questions. He felt it was the gabapentin (given for the neuropathy) that was causing a lot of my issues – particularly the wobbly, unsteadiness.  He thinks that will even out as time goes along.  One of the very positive things is that he is going to give me IV iron to help raise my hemoglobin enough that I can take the shots – Procrit.  That is very encouraging to me.  I think that will give me a lot more energy and help with the wobbliness.  He is going to just schedule fluids for me weekly since I’ve been having to go in for them anyway.  I’m so impressed with this doctor and his helping me with so many of my issues.  I told him that 2 weeks ago Dr. Powers said he would set up a scan in a couple of weeks, and I had not heard from him, even though I have asked him in many emails.  Dr. Page said, “Oh I can do that right here if you like.”  I said, “But you don’t have anything to compare it to.” He said he would just send for the disk from KC, and he would have it here for the comparison.  He said he would be happy to do that.  I looked at Guy and said, “Well, that would be so much easier than having to travel to KC.”  Dr. Page said they would do the scan right there in the McPherson hospital.  He turned to his computer and said he would put in the order right now.  I told him I was really concerned about the next scan because it would probably be a turning point for me.  If there was considerable deterioration, there probably would be no point in continuing with all this.  He still felt if it was working on the outside, it should be working on the inside. With him going to give me this iron and do the scan right here, I felt immediately encouraged.  Dr. Page just always seems to have a positive outlook with me and that raises my spirits.  I never feel like he is giving up on me.  He always feels like there is help to be had.  I haven’t had that feeling from Dr. Powers the last several times. And it is so handy here.  Anytime I’ve been in the infusion center and had a problem, the nurse will contact Dr. Page, and I get immediate help from him. I just have a lot of confidence in this doctor, and I feel the Lord has directed me to him.  I feel very comfortable with him.  

So, this evening, I don’t feel my case is hopeless right now.  I still know that this is not curable, but if I can have a few more weeks, months, years of life with some measure of quality, that is all I ask for.  I still pray for a miracle; I still pray for His healing, but I’m still in the center of His will and will continue to trust His plan and give Him thanks and glory for all I have.  God apparently is not finished with me yet.  And so I continue…..

I’m really missing not being able to participate in so many things because of no energy – Sunday school, church, ladies Bible study, senior luncheons.  I’m hoping that when my hgb comes back up and with the new spread out chemo regimen, I’ll gain some energy and be able to enjoy life a little more.

I’m concerned about my nails.  They are looking really bad.  



The doctor said I may lose some of them.  That is a side effect of the Taxotere.  That is one mean chemo.  I just hope they grow back.  My finger tips are very tender, ache, and yet numb, and I really have to protect them.  I can’t open anything or put any kind of pressure on them. I can type by using the pads of my fingers.

Another effect of the Taxotere is that my vision has decreased considerably – sometimes have to get out my big magnifying glass that came from Guy’s mom.  

I remember her using it a lot.  And it causes my eyes to water a lot which adds to the difficulty in reading.  Dr. Page said that would improve if I got off Taxotere, so I’m not holding my breath on that one.  I can still read so should be grateful for that.  Sometimes it’s just easier than others.

I was so happy to celebrate my 73rdbirthday.  I actually never thought I would.  Jeannine sent me the most beautiful pink roses – perfect in every way.  


Guy gave me a beautiful bouquet of flowers.  

I told him not to get me anything, but he said, “That is not in my DNA!”  Mark called and he and Amy sang Happy Birthday to me!  We all laughed over that.  My cousin, Cynthia Tobias Tally, sent my Sheri’s Berries. 

And I got tons of wonderful cards from so many – thanks to all of you!!!!

Well, I’m looking forward to being able to be home tomorrow – all day. Thursday I’ll get labs and Friday the Gemzar by itself.  Will be interesting to see if there are any side effects from it.  Surely if there are any, I’ll be able to tolerate them OK. This week past week without any chemo has been nice.  Looking forward to the new regimen – and not having to go to KC.

The side of my face – on my cheek has lightened considerably and is drying up – some scabbing – and ITCHING!!  I hope that is a good sign. The picture will be below in the scroll down area.

And so, my saga continues. I’m so thankful for every day that God allows me to enjoy.  And those down days, I know He still holds me by His right hand, and I just cling tightly to Him and get through those days, too.  I continue to thank you all for your prayers.  Thanks for hanging in there with me.  Means more than I can possible tell you.  Much love to all of you!!!!

And as always.....I'm in His care....

 You can scroll down for the most recent pictures.




All of the upper areas are very dry and scabby.  The part nearer my eye brows is fluid filled and has bled out 3 times this week and once in the night.







No comments:

Post a Comment