Sunday, September 22, 2013

Fall is Definitely in the Air

Today is the first day of fall, and I definitely felt it when I opened the door to let Annie out before church this morning.  It was plum cold!!  Well, to me, anyway. 

So many people say that fall is their favorite time of the year.  I don't know.....while the fall foliage is simply spectacular in Alabama, to me there is something kind of sad thinking about the lovely green leaves dying and falling to the ground, leaving the trees to face a bleak winter.  I just don't enjoy seeing naked brown trees, brown grass - brown, brown, brown everywhere.  I guess that must be why I have so few brown pieces of clothing in my wardrobe.  I know most people love the cooler weather.  I'm just not one of them.  Don't get me wrong - I'm not a lover of hot weather, but the cooler temperatures of fall signal that the cold temperatures of winter are not far behind.  I would say that spring is my favorite time of the year because of the birth of "green" and flowers everywhere, BUT that brings on my terrible allergies!  Even though I was tested, I'm not sure what the main culprit is.  It's something when the dogwood trees bloom.  They say people are not generally allergic to dogwoods, but as soon as they pop, I enter the land of misery!!  Last year I escaped it because we spent April in Kansas.  That sounds like a good plan next April, too.

Anyway, if I could just enjoy fall for what it is and not think about what is going to follow it, I would be a lot better off.
Here's the beginning of some trees turning in our backyard.
 
I liked this pictures because it has the turning leaves, but the rose bush below it is still blooming. (rose is seen to the far left)
 
We've sure enjoyed the tomatoes from our plants this summer.  As you can see in the background, the bush is about to give it up.  There are a few more on the vines still ripening.  Nothing like a good home-grown, truly vine-ripened tomato!

I guess we should think about trying to have some fried green tomatoes.  Although, I do prefer the red ones.

 
Guy's little miniature gardens came back this year all on their own and did quite well.

Changing the topic a bit now.  I'm continuing to go to PT twice a week.  I'm not sure how much longer I will do this, since I need to save as many visits as I can for after my knee surgery. My foot seems to be progressing well.  I'm wearing an elastic stocking (because it swells so badly) and tennis shoes and able to navigate with one crutch - unless I'm going to walk a good distance; then I need both crutches.  I think I could just about take right off and walk on this foot (with a little discomfort) if it were not for this pesky knee!!  When I walk, I end up thinking about my knee more than my foot.  I cannot put full pressure on my foot because of my knee hurting - and I can't walk on it straightened out.  My physical therapist says that is good - footwise - because that means the foot is healing. Tomorrow (Monday) I'll be checking back with my orthopedic doctor.  I hope he thinks my foot is healing well enough that I can make an appointment for my knee.  The only reason I've not already seen someone about my knee is that I want to ask him, "If your wife needed her knee replaced, who would you send her to?"  When I get that name, I'm calling immediately to get the appointment set up.  I just think there is going to be a whole rash of people having major surgeries before the end of the year, and I'm so afraid of not being able to get mine scheduled.  Everyone I talk to who has had a knee replacement has said, "Why did I wait so long," or "I've never regretted doing this and would certainly do it again." I just want to get it all behind me, so I can get back on both feet again!

I have this portable wheelchair that I've been using when I really need to hurry in the house (or I'm lazy) or have an armload of things to carry - like laundry, but the back wheels are dry-rotting.  As a result, it leaves little pieces of rubber all over the house, and makes the ride bumpy.  I try not to use it and use the crutches mostly, but sometimes when I'm in the kitchen cooking, crutches really get in the way.  I do walk around the center island a bit with only the assistance of holding onto the cabinets, when I only have to take a few steps.  That's real progress, because I couldn't do that a week ago.  Anyway, I called M.A.S.H last week to see if they could order me some new wheels, and he said he thought he could, but he has not called back.  I ordered the wheelchair from QVC several years ago to transport Mom and Dad to and from places.  It is in great shape and looks brand new, other than the back wheels, and they are just disintegrating. 

Yesterday the neighborhood geese paid us a visit.  There are two of them that have these deformed wings that will not allow them to fly when the others go south for the winter.  One of them stayed here last winter and the other one is a new one this year.  I guess they'll have each other to keep them company.  In the video below you can see one of them coming forward on the left.  Part of the wings just stick straight out.


In our Bible study this week, one set of verses really spoke to me.  Zechariah 9:16-17 The Message says, “And now here’s what I want you to do: Tell the truth, the whole truth, when you speak. Do the right thing by one another, both personally and in your courts. Don’t cook up plans to take unfair advantage of others. Don’t do or say what isn’t so. I hate all that stuff. Keep your lives simple and honest.” Degree of God.

If everyone took these verses to heart, our whole nation would take a 180-degree turn.



More Gifts......

52.  Sunday afternoon naps.

53.  Great friends with which to eat lunch after church.

54.  Times of just sitting in the backyard, drinking in the coziness of it all.

55.  The majesty of beautiful creatures of God - like the geese.


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment