Thursday, September 12, 2013

Lots of Mxed Emotions Today

With this being 9-11, we are all remembering.  I hope we never forget.  I was thinking today about Lori Preziose and her three children.  They would be 14, 20, and 21 now.  I often wonder if she has remarried, and how her children are doing.  I wish I had not lost contact with her.  I prayed for her and her family today.  I went back and reread the article about the quilt I made for her.  I hope it has brought her comfort through the years.

Below is a picture of Mom and Dad in the summer of 1987 when they took a trip to see my sister who was living in New Jersey at the time.  They visited New York City, and you can see the twin towers just to the right of Mom's head. 
I love this picture.  It was two years before I moved to Alabama, and about 8 years before they moved here. I like to remember them this way.  They were so full of life and still got around so easily.  They seemed so young then even though Dad was 73 and Mom 69.  If they could have just stayed that way forever......but time does march on.  It will be a glorious day when I'm reunited with them!

I making some real progress in my walking.  I've gone from wearing the boot and hardly being able to put any weight on it, even with crutches, to being able to take some steps in it without the crutches.  Yesterday I decided I would wear my tennis shoes on both feet and do my standing exercises with the shoes rather than the boot.  Then I got to thinking that perhaps I should first learn to walk with the boot well without crutches before going to the tennis shoes.  But, today, Robert, my physical therapist, told me to go ahead a wear a tennis shoe and use crutches until I feel comfortable going to one crutch and then none.  He had a couple PT students with him today, so he took some extra time with me to teach them.  He had me walk for 5 minutes in my sandals while they evaluated my gate.  If I had known he was going to have me walk me like that, I would have brought the tennis shoes.  Wearing the boot does not allow your foot to bend - only to get used to weight-bearing.  So when I went to the sandal that I took along today (or the tennis shoes yesterday), the discomfort was in the fore foot as I would bend my foot and put pressure on the ball of the foot.  He explained to the students that was most likely because my foot had not been bending for so long and also due to the swelling I have yet.  It feels much like the back part of the foot felt when I first started putting weight on it.  So I'm sure it will just take a little more time before the whole foot feels more comfortable.  I just have to get on both feet soon, so I can get on with this pesky knee.  He's doing a lot of knee exercises with me to get me ready for that surgery.  I've walked so long with that knee bent that the ham strings are shortened, and I've got to get those stretched out.  I can tell when I'm walking that the knee hurts about as much as the foot.  If I'm walking around the house with the boot and no crutches, I have to at least be near something that I can grab onto at any moment, because my knee just gives way without warning.  I think the knee surgery and recovery will be more painful than the foot surgery has been, because you have to get right up on it and start walking and going to PT, but I don't think it will be nearly as prolonged as the foot has been.  With the foot surgery, I had to just stay off of it until it healed.

I was able to go to my quilt guild meeting on Monday.  That was great to be among my quilt buddies again.  The program was given by two of our local guild members who have authored a book on making hexagons by a different method than the traditional English piecing.  It was quite interesting.  The one thing I think I found the most interesting was that one of the ladies had her knee replaced at the end of July!  Here she was standing up there the whole time, and even stepped up and down from the raised platform.  She said she had worked really hard on it, because she is going to quilt market in Houston in October, and knew she had to be up and going well by then.  So that gave me encouragement!

This week someone posted a picture and recipe for funnel cakes.  The first thing I thought of was the Kansas State Fair that I'm missing this week and all the fun I could have had.  I'm just having a hard time accepting the fact that I couldn't go this year when I had planned all along to do so. 
Here is the recipe:
Funnel Cakes

1 egg, beaten
2/3 cup milk
1 tsp baking powder
1 ¼ cup all purpose flour or coconut flour to make gluten free ...
2 Tbsp sugar
¼ tsp salt
Oil for frying, enough to cover the bottom of the skillet
Powdered sugar for topping

Mix egg and milk. Sift dry ingredients and gradually add to milk mixture, beat until smooth.

Preheat oil in fry pan to 375 degrees F.

Pour batter into hot oil with a funnel with a ½ “ or ¾” hole. Let batter drizzle into hot oil. Spiraling to create a circle.

Cook about 1 minute, flip over, cooking both sides. Remove and drain on paper towels.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar and top with fruit preserves while still warm.


More Gifts....
 
39.  The fond memories of growing up with the Kansas State Fair - went every year, and as an adult went several times each year.  I can close my eyes and smell the hamburgers and onions cooking on the midway.....
 
40.  Robert, my physical therapist, who is very patient with me, but yet pushes me to do more, and takes extra time with me to get the muscles around my knee ready for the surgery.
 
41.  The progress being made with my walking.
 
42.  The opening for Sofia in a charter school that Jeannine very much wanted for her.
 
43.  Cook's Pest Control who is going to come spray for mosquitoes either Friday or Monday, and hopefully I can get back out in my porch swing and enjoy the fresh air once again.
 
44.  Getting though the book of Ezekiel, which at the end was very tedious with all those measurements for the Temple.
 
45.  For God's protection over me as I've been learning to walk again.  Sooooo thankful I've not fallen, and I trust him to keep me from falling the rest of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment