Saturday, October 22, 2016

Acceptance......or FIX IT

Acceptance……or FIX IT!

Most of you who have known me for any length of time, know that I am a “fixer.”  All my life – you give me a job to do, and I will get it done.  Give me 2, 3, 4 jobs at the same – the more challenging the better.  (Well, except teaching pediatrics!  Some of my friends will know EXACTLY what I mean.  But I digress….. ) I’m a person who likes organization; I like my “ducks in a row.”  There have been very few things that I have given up on because I couldn’t fix it.  There may have been a person or two that I tried to fix and gave up on – but that’s not for discussion here.  :)

Very rarely did I ever come across something that got the best of me and stopped me in my tracks……until now.  I tried; believe me, I tried to fix it!!  I fought desperately to get into those dermatologists in Hutch that refused to see me until well into November.  And I did win that battle – THANKFULLY.  Sometimes being in the medical profession is an advantage – recognizing symptoms and doing something about it – in a persistent way.  At other times, you just know too much.  That can be quite uncomfortable and add to your anxiety. 

Anyway, so far, I’ve met my match.  I . CANNOT . FIX . THIS!!  And it frustrates me to no end.  Not only can I not fix it, I have no control over it or anyone who can.  I have to do what they tell me to do and when.  I wanted this surgery over days ago, but I have no control over the surgery schedule.  What is that saying…..when you are old, they will lead you where you do not want to go…..” 

I read one of the posts on a FB page today that said to “Wait and be patient.”  Are you kidding me?  How do you do that?????  Jeannine called me today, and we discussed this.  People often say, “Don’t worry about it.”  Well that’s easy to say, but how do you not worry?????  How do you just shut your mind off???  I am a woman of great faith.  I know there are lots of Scriptures that relate to that, and I’ve read them many times, but to actually do it is a major challenge.

We came to the conclusion that here are some things you can deliberately and intentionally do (and I thought of some later):

Don’t just sit and stare at the sky and concentrate on the issue.

Stay busy.  Find something to do – cook, make cookies. Sew, scrapbook, quilt, whatever hobby you have that gives you pleasure.

Take walks and breathe deeply.  Focus on the things you are seeing.  Look for things that you might not ordinarily see if you just walked on by in a hurry.  Walks get your blood pumping and send those good chemicals throughout your body.

Pick up a good book.  Perhaps a devotional book.  Or a good novel to get wrapped up in.  Work crosswords.

Of course read your Bible – I love delving into the Old Testament stories.

Play music – particularly music you can sing to.  Inspirational music, not music that makes you sad.  You’ll know which that is.  And sing to it.  It’s hard to be down and sing at the same time.

Do something for someone else.  Take someone some flowers or baked goods. 

Keep a box of pretty blank cards and write a short encouraging note to someone.

Write.  Keep a journal.  Writing is therapeutic for me.  Somehow getting it out and putting it on paper makes it a little less threatening.

This devotional from New Every Morning, hit me between the eyes today:

Acceptance Now

People may make plans in their minds, but the Lord decides what they will do. Prov.16:9

Sometimes we must accept life on its terms, not our won.  Life has a way of unfolding, not as we will, but as it will.  And sometimes, there is precious little we can do to change things. [UGH!]

When events transpire that are beyond our control, we have a choice: we can either learn the art of acceptance, or we can make ourselves miserable as we struggle to change the unchangeable.

We must entrust the things we cannot change to God.  Once we have done so, we can prayerfully and faithfully tackle the important work that He has placed before us: doing something about the things we can change….and doing it sooner rather than later.

Heavenly father, thank You for the abundant life that is mine through Christ Jesus.  Guide me according to Your will, and help me to be a worthy servant in all that I say and do.  Give me courage, Lord, to claim the rewards You have promised, and when I do, let the glory be Yours.  Amen.

Well, I guess I have a ways to go to work on the above.....

Today we took Chris to his first game since he made the pre academy soccer team. Chris is in the red and blue. 


After getting out of his boot, he has worked his little heart out to make that team.  They lost 2-3, but he played a good game.  He got two attempts at a goal.  Just didn’t quite go in.  They were actually playing a team that was a year older – don’t quite know why.  Anyway, that was fun.  The weather was beautiful – blue sky (wicked sun in our eyes the whole time!), in the 70s and just enough breeze to keep us comfortable.

Chris’ game was right during the Alabama game, and I forgot to set the DVR to record it.  :(  We tried to watch it on our phone apps, but it kept locking up.  I texted Mark in Canada to see if he could remotely set the DVR, and sure enough – he did.  Isn’t technology amazing?!  We got home just in time for the 2nd half to start.  Just after we got to the soccer field, while we were still sitting in the car, here comes a family by wearing Texas A&M shirts. (That's who we played today, in case you weren't aware.)  I wanted to jump out with my Alabama shirt on, but I didn’t.  Didn’t want to scare them!  :)

I’m looking forward once more to worshipping at Mid America Nazarene College Church in the morning.  I want to just sit and soak it all in!

T minus 3 days and counting….


Still in His hands…..(and working on acceptance)
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment